Attitudes to genetic testing for breast cancer susceptibility in women at increased risk of developing hereditary breast cancer

Download files
Access & Terms of Use
open access
Abstract
The localisation of the two breast cancer susceptibility genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 made possible the use of mutation detection as a susceptibility test for individuals who wish to learn whether they carry a risk-conferring mutation. Several studies have assessed attitudes to genetic testing for breast cancer susceptibility, most of which involved either community samples or women with just one first-degree relative with breast cancer. The objective of our study was to assess attitudes to genetic testing for breast cancer susceptibility in a large sample of women at high risk of developing hereditary breast cancer on the basis of family history. The majority of women included in our sample (80%) had a family history consistent with a dominantly inherited predisposition to breast cancer (lifetime risk of 1 in 4 to 1 in 2), and the remainder (20%) was at moderately increased risk of developing breast cancer (lifetime risk of 1 in 8 to 1 in 4).
Persistent link to this record
DOI
Additional Link
Author(s)
Meiser, Bettina
Butow, Phyllis
Barratt, Alexandra
Suthers, Graeme
Smith, Meryl
Colley, Alison
Thompson, Elizabeth
Tucker, Katherine
Supervisor(s)
Creator(s)
Editor(s)
Translator(s)
Curator(s)
Designer(s)
Arranger(s)
Composer(s)
Recordist(s)
Conference Proceedings Editor(s)
Other Contributor(s)
Corporate/Industry Contributor(s)
Publication Year
2000
Resource Type
Journal Article
Degree Type
UNSW Faculty
Files
download Attitud4(2).doc 68.5 KB Microsoft Word
Related dataset(s)