Identification of the populations of enteric neurons that have NK1 tachykinin receptors in the guinea-pig small intestine Lomax, A. E. en_US Bertrand, P. P en_US Furness, J. B. en_US 2021-11-25T13:34:45Z 2021-11-25T13:34:45Z 1998 en_US
dc.description.abstract Simultaneous immunofluorescence labelling was used to investigate the patterns of colocalisation of the NK1 tachykinin receptor with other neuronal markers, and hence determine the functional classes of neuron that bear the NK1 receptor in the guinea-pig ileum. In the myenteric plexus, 85% of NK1 receptor-immunoreactive (NK1r-IR) nerve cells had nitric oxide synthase (NOS) immunoreactivity and the remaining 15% were immunoreactive for choline acetyltransferase (ChAT). Of the latter group, about 50% were immunoreactive for both neuropeptide Y (NPY) and somatostatin (SOM), and had the morphologies of secretomotor neurons. Many of the remaining ChAT neurons were immunoreactive for calbindin or tachykinins (TK), but not both. These calbindin immunoreactive neurons had Dogiel type II morphology. No NK1r-IR nerve cells in the myenteric plexus had serotonin or calretinin immunoreactivity. In the submucosal ganglia, 84% of NK1r-IR nerve cells had neuropeptide Y immunoreactivity and 16% were immunoreactive for TK. It is concluded that NK1r-IR occurs in five classes of neuron; namely, in the majority of NOS-immunoreactive inhibitory motor neurons, in ChAT/TK-immunoreactive excitatory neurons to the circular muscle, in all ChAT/NPY/SOM-immunoreactive secretomotor neurons, in a small proportion of ChAT/calbindin myenteric neurons, and in about 50% of ChAT/TK submucosal neurons. en_US
dc.language English
dc.language.iso EN en_US
dc.rights CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 en_US
dc.rights.uri en_US
dc.source Legacy MARC en_US
dc.title Identification of the populations of enteric neurons that have NK1 tachykinin receptors in the guinea-pig small intestine en_US
dc.type Journal Article en
dcterms.accessRights metadata only access
dspace.entity.type Publication en_US
unsw.identifier.doiPublisher en_US
unsw.relation.faculty Medicine & Health
unsw.relation.ispartofjournal Cell and Tissue Research en_US
unsw.relation.ispartofpagefrompageto 27-33 en_US
unsw.relation.ispartofvolume 294 en_US
unsw.relation.originalPublicationAffiliation Lomax, A. E. en_US
unsw.relation.originalPublicationAffiliation Bertrand, P. P, Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, UNSW en_US
unsw.relation.originalPublicationAffiliation Furness, J. B. en_US School of Medical Sciences *
Resource type