Synaptic transmission from the submucosal plexus to the myenteric plexus in Guinea-pig ileum Monro, R en_US Bornstein, J en_US Bertrand, P. P en_US 2021-11-25T13:34:25Z 2021-11-25T13:34:25Z 2008 en_US
dc.description.abstract Stimulation of the myenteric plexus results in activation of submucosal neurons and dilation of arterioles, one way that motility and secretion can be coupled together. The present study aimed to examine the converse, whether myenteric neurons receive synaptic input from the submucosal plexus (SMP). Intracellular recordings were made from guinea-pig ileal myenteric neurons while the SMP was electrically stimulated. Of the 29 neurons studied (13 S and 16 AH neurons), stimulation of the SMP evoked a synaptic potential in only seven cells, or 24% of neurons. When the SMP was situated oral to the myenteric plexus, 4 of 13 (31%) myenteric neurons had synaptic input. When it was situated circumferential, 2 of 8 (25%) had input, and when the SMP was situated anal 1 of 8 (13%) had input. Overall, 5 of the 13 (38%) S neurons responded with fast excitatory post-synaptic potentials (EPSPs), one of which also showed a slow EPSP, while 2 of the 16 (13%) AH neurons responded with a slow EPSP. This study indicates that the synaptic input from the SMP to myenteric neurons is relatively sparse. Whether this input is less important than the myenteric to submucosal input or simply represents a more selective form of control is unknown. en_US
dc.identifier.issn 1350-1925 en_US
dc.language English
dc.language.iso EN en_US
dc.rights CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 en_US
dc.rights.uri en_US
dc.source Legacy MARC en_US
dc.subject.other electrophysiology en_US
dc.subject.other myenteric plexus en_US
dc.subject.other submucosal plexus en_US
dc.subject.other synaptic en_US
dc.subject.other transmission en_US
dc.subject.other ileum en_US
dc.title Synaptic transmission from the submucosal plexus to the myenteric plexus in Guinea-pig ileum en_US
dc.type Journal Article en
dcterms.accessRights metadata only access
dspace.entity.type Publication en_US
unsw.identifier.doiPublisher en_US
unsw.relation.faculty Medicine & Health
unsw.relation.ispartofissue 10 en_US
unsw.relation.ispartofjournal Neurogastroenterology & Motility en_US
unsw.relation.ispartofpagefrompageto 1165-1173 en_US
unsw.relation.ispartofvolume 20 en_US
unsw.relation.originalPublicationAffiliation Monro, R en_US
unsw.relation.originalPublicationAffiliation Bornstein, J en_US
unsw.relation.originalPublicationAffiliation Bertrand, P. P, Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, UNSW en_US School of Medical Sciences *
Resource type